Today is Friday, January 26th. Here are seven things you need to know today.
1. A chase across three municipalities ended in Buffalo's University Heights neighborhood overnight. Police took a suspect into custody, and took him to ECMC for treatment. We're working to learn how this chase started.
2. Former University at Buffalo VP Dennis Black will be sentenced today. Black pleaded guilty in September to stealing $320,000 in student accounts over a nine-year period.He will continue to receive a taxpayer-funded state pension despite the plea. Black could face up to 15 years in prison, but he may receive a reduced sentence.
3. President Donald Trump is calling a New York Times report "fake news." The Times reported yesterday that President Trump had ordered the firing of Russia investigation special counsel Robert Mueller last summer. The report says President Trump backed off the demand after a White House lawyer threatened to quit. Trump called the Times "fake news" as he arrived in Davos, Switzerland on Friday.
4. Lancaster police are warning of a new scam. They say a man recently fell victim to a new extortion scam.The scammer pretends to know the victim, and initiates a discussion that leads to the sharing of pictures and video. The scammer then threatens to post those images to different websites unless the victim pays.
5. New York State is making it easier for kids to get the flu shot. Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an executive order yesterday allowing pharmacists to administer the flu vaccine to children ages two and up.
6. The Sabres are on their first three-game win streak of the season. Last night's win in Vancouver is also goaltender Robin Lehner's second straight shutout. The Sabres defeated the Canucks 4-0. They play the New Jersey Devils at home on Tuesday.
7. Mother Nature is turning up the heat today. Temperatures will climb into the 40s this afternoonand stay there for part of the weekend.