All of Western New York is about to get another shot of snow starting Thursday morning. However, it's Ski Country that will be reaping the benefits of some fresh new powder on the slopes.
Here's what you need to know:
- A front moving through early Thursday morning will provide a quick burst of snow for all of WNY and affect your commute into work. Would expect a quick inch of snow across the area. Some areas will see snow switch over to rain showers during the late morning hours.
- Cold air on the back side of the low will get the lake effect snow machine going again later during the evening hours on Thursday for extreme Southern Erie, Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties. Expect 3-5" on the hills through Thursday night, and 1-3" of snow for areas near the shores of Lake Erie.
- Besides the snow, temperatures start out in the low 30s. Temperatures warm up into the mid to upper 30s for the afternoon, before diving back into the low 30s by dinner hour, and eventually into the 20s by Thursday night.
- Wind will pick up out of the west at around 15-20 mph, gusting up to 35 mph at times during the afternoon and evening. Definitely enough to create a bad hair day.
- Lake snow showers will continue through Friday. The shores of Orleans County will get in on some of the action as well, with a band of Lake Effect Snow off of Lake Ontario.
- When all is set and done, some areas in ski country could have snow totals of up to a foot.
- Besides the snow, the wind will make it feel like it's in the teens out there across WNY on Friday. There'll be a few snow showers out there from a low pressure system out to our east. Expect little to no accumulation for areas outside of the band of snow.
As for New Years Eve, expect a breezy one with rain and snow showers out there across the area. Temperatures will be in the mid to low 30s downtown Buffalo when the ball drops.
|Breaking News Alerts, Live video, and your hour-by-hour forecast - download the WKBW app|
|News, forecast and Bills newsletters delivered to your e-mail inbox|