BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The State University Police force is looking to grow its ranks. New York State has tentatively scheduled the next University Police civil service exam for February 1, 2020.
"We consider this job protecting New York's future," Chief Peter Carey of University Police at Buffalo State said.
According to SUNY's recruitment site: "A University Police officer is responsible for the detection and prevention of crime, and the enforcement of state and local laws, rule and regulations in a diverse educational environment throughout twenty-eight State University of New York campuses. Officers are part of the educational process and teach on such topics as crime prevention, drug awareness, sexual assault and traffic safety. They develop and maintain a positive relationship with students, faculty and staff in order to ensure the safety and cooperation of the entire campus community."
"It's not just going out there an enforcing vehicle and traffic law or penal law and criminal law. It's actually getting in the nitty gritty with the community," Officer Raven Harvey said. She's been an officer at Buffalo State for 12 years.
"Same training and expertise any other police department but we just do it in a different environment," Chief Carey said. He continued, "We're really looking to diversify and broaden our applicant pool."
Important dates to monitor:
*November 15, 2019: Civil Service to issue formal announcement for the next University Police Officer Exam
*December 18, 2019: Exam registration deadline
*February 1, 2020: Exam tentatively scheduled.
- Candidates must possess a minimum of 60 college credit hours
- Candidates must pass the Civil Service exam
- Candidates must pass a physical test that involves push-ups, sit-ups and a 1.5 mile run
- Candidates must clear psychological and medical screening
- Candidates must be at least 21-years-old, but not have reached their 35th birthday
- Candidates must be both a New York and U.S. resident
- Candidates must pass an extensive background check
- To learn even more about this job opportunity, click here.