BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Opening Day for the Toronto Blue Jays at their new "home" at Sahlen Field in Buffalo is set for June 1 and New York State officially announced COVID-19 guidance Wednesday.
According to an announcement by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo at Sahlen Field Wednesday, the seats available for fans will be split into two sections. One section will be for individuals who are vaccinated and the other section will be for those who are not vaccinated.
In the vaccinated section, normal seating will be allowed but masks must be worn. Those who are under 16 years of age and not currently eligible to be vaccinated can accompany vaccinated parent(s) in the vaccinated section.
In the unvaccinated section, 6-foot social distancing will be required and masks must also be worn.
The Blue Jays say following this guidance capacity will be 35% for the first eight games from June 1 to June 17.
Tickets go on presale May 18 and on sale to the general public May 20. You can purchase a maximum of four tickets per game and choose between the physically distanced unvaccinated and fully vaccinated seating sections.
Physically Distanced Seating Sections
- Tickets are sold in pods of up to four seats, with each pod spaced a minimum of six feet apart and are available to both vaccinated and non-vaccinated fans.
- Fans sitting in physically distanced seating are not required to present vaccination documentation or a negative COVID-19 test result.
Fully Vaccinated Seating Sections
- Fully vaccinated seating sections will have fans seated directly beside other parties; capacity in these sections is 100%.
- Fans aged 16 and older sitting in fully vaccinated seating sections must present a photo ID that matches their proof of receipt of full COVID-19 vaccination, received at least 14 days prior to the day of the game.
- Fans under the age of 16 may accompany and be seated with a fully vaccinated guest in a fully vaccinated seating section; no negative COVID-19 test result is required.
The Blue Jays say COVID-19 protocols will be in place and include but are not limited to:
- Face coverings are required for all fans aged two and older while on Sahlen Field property, including in fully vaccinated seating sections, except while actively eating or drinking in their ticketed seats.
- Fans will still undergo symptom screening prior to ballpark entry; however, temperature checks and negative COVID-19 test results are no longer required.
- All fans, including those who are fully vaccinated, must maintain six feet of distance from anyone not in their seating group, while on Sahlen Field property, except when sitting in a fully vaccinated section.
- Fan access within the ballpark is limited to maintain physical distancing. During the game, fans must stay in their ticketed seats except when travelling to concessions, restrooms, or for emergencies and fan services support.
The governor also announced starting June 1 you can receive the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine at a Blue Jays game at Sahlen Field. If you receive a vaccine at a Blue Jays game you will receive a free ticket to a Buffalo Bisons game next season as well as a chance to win Blue Jays prizes.
The Governor also said that, if all remains, this model would be the case for Buffalo Bills games. He did say that this is expected to change as the pandemic does.