BUFFALO, N.Y. [WKBW] — The Buffalo Bandits season has officially come to an end. On Thursday, the National Lacrosse League announced the remainder of the 2019-2020 season has been canceled. The league had previously canceled the remainder of the regular season but has now closed the door on a potential return for the playoffs.
“After an exhaustive effort weighing all of the factors, including the health and safety of our players and staff, immigration challenges, and the resources required to execute a post-season tournament under the current circumstances, our senior leadership and Board have agreed to redirect our attention to planning for next season,” said NLL Commissioner Nick Sakiewicz. “We want to thank all those involved, especially our players, coaches, and league and team staff, and most importantly our fans and partners, for their continued support and engagement through this global pandemic. Communities are starting to open up, sports are beginning to return, and we look forward to our 35th season. We wish everyone continued health and safety as we navigate our way back to the game.”
Regular season play was suspended on March 12 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At the time, the Bandits were 7-4 and were third place in the North Division.
“We appreciate all the work that Nick and the team at the NLL have put in during these challenging times, and wholeheartedly support this decision,” said Peter Schmitz, President, Professional Lacrosse Players’ Association (PLPA).
In a tweet from the Bandits, the team account posted: We look forward to next season, Banditland. Thank you for your support.