Six-month-old burned by fireworks at home

Posted at
and last updated

A six-month-old was taken to Women and Children's Hospital after being burned by a firework in Lancaster.

Police were called to Westwood Road on the 4th of July around 10:00 p.m.  They say 38-year-old Eugene Lapress was lighting fireworks when one malfunctioned and started shooting fireballs towards guests.  A 22-year-old woman and her six-month-old child who was sitting on her lap were both hit.  Both the baby and mother suffered second degree burns.

The baby was taken to Women and Children's Hospital, and the mother was taken to Sisters Hospital. Police said the baby suffered second degree burns on 18% of her body. 

Police confiscated the fireworks, and charged the homeowner. He is facing charges including Reckless Endangerment, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, and Unlawful Dealing with Fireworks.

Police originally reported the mother was also facing charges. But, they later claimed that was an error. Now, it is only possible the mother may face charges.

We received dozens of comments to this story on our WKBW Facebook page. Many of you wondered why the mother could face charges. "Placing a child in close proximity to fireworks is negligence which would be endangering the welfare of a child because she's exposing that child to a risk of danger," explained 7 Eyewitness News Legal Analyst, Florina Altshiler. 

Police said it could take several days before their investigation is complete.