ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WKBW) — When it comes to your wellness, how often are you checking in and making sure you're taking care of your body?
"Now that it's summer time, they're attempting to walk, they're attempting to job and realizing, oh maybe I'm not as healthy as I thought I was, so we are seeing more people in our office because of that," said Dr. Elizabeth Betancourt.
Dr. Betancourt works on recovery at Infinity Wellness, covering things like cryotherapy, chiropractic care, massage therapy and more. She's worked with current and former Bills players Jerry Hughes, Dawson Knox and more.
But you don't have to be a Buffalo Bill to make sure you have a clean bill of health.
"You are important and your life on earth is important and people enjoy your company, so find ways to take that time for yourself," said Dr. Betancourt.
Dr. Betancourt left us some summer wellness tips:
- Info: It takes three full days to completely hydrate, per Dr. Betancourt
- Test: Pinch your skin on your hand, if it snaps back, you're hydrated, if not, time to drink!
- Adjustments: Add fruit, seltzer or decaffeinated tea to spice up your hydration
- Formula: Take your bodyweight and divide it by two, Dr. Betancourt says that's how much you should be drinking in fl/oz daily
- "Sleep is difficult when you're dehydrated people don't get a good night's rest, so making sure you're getting that good solid sleep at night," said Dr. Betancourt.
- "People tell me they're sitting at a desk all day, not getting up and moving they feel stiff, they feel rigid. Daily stretching is easy, it's quick," said Dr. Betancourt.
- So many of us love to get that good pop and make our backs crack, but Dr. Betancourt says to leave that to the professionals.