NewsLocal News

Actions

Three children burned, one critically injured after 'fire pot' spills over in Cheektowaga

"There was a tragic accident"
gilrs burned.jpg
Posted at 12:17 PM, Jun 01, 2022
and last updated 2022-06-01 17:31:33-04

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. (WKBW) — Three children were burned, one critically injured, when a "fire pot" spilled over, according to Cheektowaga police.

The incident occurred on May 26 at a home on Jeffrey Drive. Police said three girls, ages 4, 7 and 9, were burned after a small alcohol-fueled fire being used to cook marshmallows spilled over.

“There was a tragic accident — explosion and the accelerant — the fuel sprayed out and landed on the girls,” explained Richard Stark, a family member.

Stark is an uncle of the four girls involved, 9-year-old twins Cadence and Kennedy, 8-year-old Madison, and 4-year-old Aria.

Stark says three of them were burned last Thursday night while trying to make S’mores. Cadence was critically injured.

Cheektowaga Police say emergency crews responded to a call on Jeffrey Drive in south Cheektowaga and that's when they attended to the three girls.

According to police, the three girls were attended to by paramedics at the scene and transported to Oishei Children's Hospital. Later Thursday, the 9-year-old girl who was listed in critical condition at the time was airlifted to Kessler Burn and Trauma Center in Rochester.

"While on route we received an update from our dispatch office..there were multiple people burned upon our arrival we found three children who sustained burns from cooking S'mores," stated Andy Dayton, chief, South Line Fire Department.

"For cadence who is currently in Rochester — it's going to be a long road to recovery. She suffered severe, severe burns and she's — it's a day-to-day situation," Stark noted.

Police said there is still an investigation into the incident and "there is nothing to suggest the occurrence was anything other than a tragic accident."

The fire chief says he does not know what type of fire pit or pot was being used, however, he warns you to be very careful when using any fire pots.

"The only thing I can really say right now — to be cautious around any open flame that you may be used for any reason," Dayton replied. "It’s just day-to-day. It’s very emotional."

A GoFundMe has been created to assist the family which has over $46,000 in donations as of noon Wednesday. According to the GoFundMe, the 9-year-old suffered third and fourth-degree burns to 50% of her body.

You can donate through the GoFundMe or donations can be dropped off at Premier Property Management, 2801 Wehrle Drive, Suite 11, Williamsville, NY between the hours of 9:30 and 5 Monday to Friday.

"We're looking just for prayers for cadence and the rest of the girls to get well," reflected Stark.