BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Niagara County public health officials say five more people have tested positive for coronavirus.
Those test results were confirmed by the New York State Department of Health.
Niagara County now has nine confirmed cases of coronavirus.
Countywide, there are a total of 61 people in quarantine. Ten are in isolation. Five tests results are still pending.
The five new confirmed cases are believed to have been transmitted through 'community spread.'
The people affected are:
- a 33-year-old man in North Tonawanda. He is in the ICU at a local hospital.
- a 51-year-old woman in North Tonawanda. She is in home isolation.
- a 43-year-old woman in North Tonawanda. She is in home isolation.
- a 64-year-old man in North Tonawanda. He is in home isolation.
- a 29-year-old woman from the City of Lockport. She is in home isolation.
"In these cases, the length of time that has passed and the fact these individuals self-quarantined quickly after feeling symptomatic worked in our favor," said Public Health Director Daniel Stapleton.
The cases in Niagara County have no connection to each other.
"I have heard some say that our numbers are merely a function of our testing and if we could do testing at the rate we would like, there would be many, many more positivies. To that, I say, I absolutely agree. The community needs to act as if COVID-19 is everywhere because in all likelihood, it is," Stapleton said.
Niagara County leaders say the new confirmed cases had points of contact at:
- Nelson's restaurant in Wheatfield, the evening of 3/11.
- Sinatra's restaurant in Kenmore, the evening of 3/12.
- VP Supply in Clarence between 10am and 1pm on 3/13.
- G&G Fitness on Transit Road between 1 and 1:30 pm on 3/13
- Neat Restaurant on Transit Road between 1:30 and 2:30 pm on 3/13.
- California Closet on Walden Avenue between 3 and 5 pm on 3/13.
- Sam's Club in Niagara Falls between 10 and 11 am on 3/15.
If you were at any of these places, you should monitor your health. If you show any symptoms, call your primary healthcare provider.