BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Monsignor Geary apartments have 100 units that are home to mostly disabled and elderly people. 29 of those BMHA housing units are now uninhabitable.
"Because of smoke and water damage, the fourth and fifth floors are basically shut right now," said BMHA Executive Director Gillian Brown.
All residents were forced to evacuate until firefighters put out the blaze.
"I woke up to commotions outside and when I came out to the fire department yelling and telling me to get out, I got out and that’s when I saw the smoke up on the fifth floor," said resident Carmen Sanchez.
Carmen lives on the second floor, three floors below the fire.
The fire started on the fifth floor when someone was cooking and their pan caught on fire, according to Brown. The fire was contained to just that unit, but the damage spread to several others.
The damage forced 14 people into temporary housing. The Red Cross is helping them while they're displaced. The majority of the disasters the Red Cross deals with are house fires.
"Affected tenants are gonna be transferred immediately, as soon as we can find units," explained Brown.
The BMHA has insurance on the building and is addressing recovery of the building, according to Brown.
No one was hurt in the fire.