NewsLocal News


Family loses everything in fire, say caused by fireworks

Posted at 7:01 PM, Jun 25, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-25 19:11:15-04

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — 10 minutes was all it took for Michelle Hamilton and her family to lose their home Sunday night. The Buffalo Fire Department said fireworks may have sparked the fire that destroyed the house on Olympic Avenue in Buffalo.

“I can't believe it went from me getting ready to put my kid to bed, to the house is on fire,” said Hamilton, “It was pointless. For you to try to have a good time, now I'm out of everything.”

The fire started in the back of the home and spread in the walls. Hamilton said she believes the fireworks came from somewhere on the street.

“The fire department said if you guys would have been asleep, we could be possibly coming to a DOA,” Hamilton said. “You have to take accountability for everybody else. I could have lost my life and my family could have lost their lives because of somebody else doing fireworks.”

The family was supposed to be celebrating Hamilton’s son Willie’s 8th grade graduation and her 3-year-old son Calen’s upcoming birthday.

​“I was waiting for this the whole time. Now since the fire I have to wait more. It's postponed,” said Willie.

​“We were supposed to have a parade in front of the house. I was going to grill. I can't do all of that now,” Hamilton said.

​The family is left with nothing - No home, no clothes and no toys.​

​“I think I'm going to have no more toys,” said Calen.

​“I grew up not wanting for anything. I want to do the same for my kids. And for me to have to start all over and try to find clothes real quick and he has 8th grade graduation today. It's hard,” Hamilton said.​

​But even since the fire, Hamilton has found something to be grateful for.​

“A lot of people have reached out and that makes me feel good to know that people do care and people hate to see you going through this,” said Hamilton

There is a GoFundMe set up to get the family back on their feet.