NewsLocal News


Buffalo Fire Department investigating a fire on Olympic Avenue possibly caused by fireworks

Posted at 5:26 PM, Jun 24, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-24 19:31:17-04

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Five people are being assisted by The Red Cross. There’s $100,000 of damage. The Buffalo Fire Department said it was all possibly caused by fireworks.​

“There were a number of fireworks being set off during that period or just before the fire so our fire investigation unit is investigating but they haven't made a determination yet,” said Buffalo Fire Commissioner William Renaldo.

Sunday around 11 p.m. flames broke out in the back of a house on Olympic Avenue in Buffalo. Neighbors said people were setting off fireworks in the area of the home. 8-year-old Josmarie lives across the street and saw the entire event unfold.

“There was a lot of fireworks and firefighters,” said Josmarie, “I recorded it on Tik Tok and showed my mom… I felt sad.”

That's why Renaldo has some advice.

​“Best practice is to rethink your fireworks show. Watch it on TV and grill some hot dogs instead. That's my best practice,” Renaldo said.

If you do decide to set off legal fountain devices, he said to make sure to do so safely. ​

“Just keep a safe distance and keep them away from anything that's flammable,” Renaldo said.​

​Renaldo also said you should also have water nearby just in case.