BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — April is National Donate Life Month and to celebrate, 12 local bars and restaurants are selling specialty cocktails, raising funds for a local organization.
"We want to create enough funding possible to create public service campaigns on a broad format," said Tom Jasinksi, Founder and Executive Director of One8Fifty, an organization focused on getting more people registered to become organ donors.
For the month of April, you can find a specialty cocktail at the following restaurants:
- The Irishman Pub & Eatery: The Giving Punch
- Glen Park Tavern: Donors Opt In Daquari / Intent to Consent Mango
- Juicy Burger Bar: Brew It! Eat the Donut! Boozy Shake
- Carte Blanche: Chocolate Cherry Old Fashioned
- Garage Bar & Restaurant: Blackberry Bourbon Mule
- Neat: Bourbon Smash
- VICE: Bourbon Smash
- Anchor Bar in Amherst: Blue & Green Donor Machine
- D'Avolio: Cosmopolitan
- SOHO: Double R Crown Royal Manhattan
- Frankie Primos: Double R Crown Royal Manhattan
- Parkside Meadow: Lavender Martini
"A great cocktail for a great cause. We're really excited to be a part of it," said Maria MacPeek, General Manager at The Irishman.
The good news is since 2010, cumulative Registry enrollments in New York state have tripled, growing from just over 2 million registrations (15% of the state’s eligible population) to nearly 7 million (45% of the state’s eligible population), according to ConnectLife.
At any given point, thousands of people are in need of an organ donation, according to Jasinski. He knows this because he used to be one of those people.
"I myself am a double organ transplant recipient. At that point in time I was told that my wait could be 7-10 years," said Jasinski.
That's why he started One8Fifty. It represents the fact that one donor can supply up to eight life-saving organs and impact at least 50 other people through tissue donation.
Don't drink? There are 9 other ways to help out:
- Register to become an organ donor
- Once registered, share your decision with your family and loved ones
- Be a living donor – blood, platelets, bone marrow, kidney, lung, liver
- Check to see if your employer makes matching donation
- Host a fundraising event in your home or business
- Advocate for ONE8FIFTY to help raise awareness & inspire others
- Learn the facts & help educate others about the dire need
- Host a lunch & learn event at your business, club, or place of worship
- Make afinancial donation