BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — We've put together a list of different things you can do to help your community this weekend.
- Donate clothes, shoes, appliances, blankets to the Johnson family. They've lost their son, cousin and their home in a fire. You can send donations to ABC Hardware and Rental at 3336 Bailey Avenue in Buffalo, or 2507 Niagara Falls Boulevard in Amherst.
- Volunteer to be an online mentor (a Big Brother or Big Sister) to a local child. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Erie, Niagara and the Southern Tier (BBBS) is looking for adults willing to be a volunteer mentor. Click here to find out more.
- Volunteer with FeedMore WNY. The organization is always looking for volunteers, especially now, to help families affected by COVID-19.
- Join Buffalo Resilience and help make face masks.
- Donate non-perishable foods to FeedMore WNY this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. They are accepting all nonperishable donations but are in greater need of canned fruits, vegetables, and proteins (peanut butter, fish, and meats). Location: Southside Elementary School parking lot (430 Southside Parkway, Buffalo).
- Volunteer to help seniors and people with disabilities with transportation for medical needs, grocery and delivery of other essential needs, and social connections like providing a friendly phone call. For the volunteer application click here or call (716)-406-8311. Volunteers are reimbursed for mileage and have supplemental insurance coverage through Hearts and Hands. Opportunities for volunteers to work from home are also available.
- Donate pet food. Owner of Carousel Laura Scalfani is collecting pet food, and you can drop it off outside her shop. She's bringing that to pet food pantries to help low income pet owners. You can reach her by phone at 716-479-7627 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.