Actions

Largest Carbon Monoxide detector giveaway at FNC

Posted at 9:30 AM, Feb 15, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-15 14:37:00-05

We’ve heard it before. “Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you.”

Carbon Monoxide, otherwise known as CO, is found anytime fuel is burned in a car, home, fireplace, generator, engine, etc.

It can can hit anyone, anywhere at anytime, making a carbon monoxide detector a necessity for any home.

On Monday, the Buffalo Sabres teamed up with The Amanda Hansen Foundation to give out 1,500 detectors, free of charge.

The event took place from noon until 4 p.m. at First Niagara Center.

The foundation was formed after Amanda Hansen, a West Seneca teenager, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after sleeping over at a friends house. That home did not have a CO detector.

Since her death, Amanda’s parents have made it their goal to prevent this tragedy from happening to another family.

A CO detector is the best way to ensure that you and your family stay safe, but there are plenty of important tips to remember according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention:

  • Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Place your detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, such as outside your bedroom. Consider buying a detector with a digital readout. This detector can tell you the highest level of CO concentration in your home in addition to alarming. Replace your CO detector every five years.
  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator have an expert service it. An odor from your gas refrigerator can mean it could be leaking CO.
  • When you buy gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as Underwriters’ Laboratories.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances, such as a water heater, should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors, as shown below. This prevents CO from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal - red, gray, black, or white - gives off CO.
  • Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.