wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

Nursing home fire sends three to the hospital

Posted at 9:27 PM, Dec 25, 2014
and last updated 2015-12-20 21:27:22-05

Two nursing home residents and a staff member were sent to the hospital on Christmas Day after a fire broke out at the St. Francis Home of Williamsville on Reist Street.

Fire officials say the blaze was started by an electric wheelchair in a patient's room.

Two residents of the room were able to escape the fire.

The two residents were taken to Millard Fillmore Suburban. A staff member was taken to Sisters of Charity St. Joseph's Hospital. All were treated for smoke inhalation.

One of the residents and the staff member were later released. The other resident was admitted to the hospital as a precaution.

Forty six residents were evaluated by medical personnel in all.

The bulk of the fire and water damage was confined to the one room, but the rest of the resident wing sustained smoke damage.

The residents were able to remain at the facility.

No firefighters were hurt.

Damages are estimated to be $35,000.