At least 30 buildings in Erie County have collapsed and another 90 have experienced partial collapsing. Hundreds of others have been deemed unstable.
Areas of Western New York had five feet of snow dumped on them by a persistent lake effect snow band Tuesday into Wednesday. Then an additional two to three feet fell on some of the same communities on Thursday.
The weight of the snow has compromised buildings, causing mass evacuations, and entirely collapsing others. Here are the ones 7 Eyewitness News has been able to reach:
- Frontier Schools face possible structural issues
- Nursing home facility evacuated
- Entire mobile home park evacuated, several homes collapse
- Man trapped when roof collapes
- VIDEO: Elma roof collapses under weight of snow
- Roof collapses at manufacturing plant in Angola
- Warehouse roof collapes in Cheektowaga
- Half million dollars of damage at graphics company
- One horse killed, two rescued when barn collapses
- Nearly a dozen greenhouses collapse at farm
- Roof of BJ's Wholesale Club compromised
Building inspectors will be out in force on Friday to monitor hundreds of homes and inspect others. Officials say the danger signs are cracks in the walls, doors that won't close, and walls or ceiling bowing out.
If you're hearing noises and seeing these signs or feel the building move or shift at all, evacuate immediately.