Price-of-Water-658x90.jpg

Actions

Cause determined in fire that killed girl

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WKBW.png
Posted at 8:14 AM, Apr 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-25 20:58:34-04

Buffalo Fire Commissioner Garnell Whitfield says faulty wiring behind a stove in a downstairs kitchen sparked a February house fire on Humber Avenue that killed three people, including an 8-year-old girl.

Whitfield updated reporters at a Monday afternoon news conference, hours after officials in Ohio confirmed the death of Treasure Brighon.

The Buffalo girl, who suffered burns over 90 percent of her body, died Sunday at Shriners Hospital for Children in Cincinnati.

Brighon was initially saved by her father Demetrius Johnson, who went back inside the burning home to save his daughter. Johnson died on the scene. 

One other man, Juan Montanez - a downstairs neighbor - was also killed in the fire.

Whitfield called the fire "one of the worst in the city's history."

Maintenance complaints about the property's landlord were investigated but not corroborated, according to Whitfield.

Here's the full story on what happened back on February 19th http://www.wkbw.com/news/us-news-world/father-dies-after-carrying-daughter-8-out-of-burning-home