BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - Today is Wednesday, January 31st. Here are seven things you need to know to start your day.
1. President Trump's first State of the Union address called for unity. President Trump said, "I call upon all of us to set aside our differences, to seek out common ground, and to summon the unity we need to deliver for the people." The president received praise from local representatives in Congress for his infrastructure plan. This morning, CNN is fact-checking the speech. U.S. Representative Joe Kennedy III offered the Democratic Party's response.
2. Today is the last day for many pistol permit holders in NYS to recertify their permits. The recertification deadline applies to all pistol permit holders who have held permits since before January 15, 2013. Recertification rules are part of the New York State Safe Act. The New York State Police have said they will not confiscate pistols of people who do not meet hte deadline.
3. A group will meet this morning to try to save the Quaker Arts Festival in Orchard Park. The Orchard Park Jaycees announced earlier this week they were ending the Quaker Arts Festival after more than 50 years. The group cited lack of resources. This morning at 10 a.m., supporters are meeting with the Orchard Park Chamber of Commerce to try and save the festival.
4. About 1,400 National Grid customers are waking up without power in Chautauqua County. The company says the outage was caused by equipment failure at a substation. The Red Cross offered a warming shelter overnight. Power is expected to be restored around noon.
6. The Sabres' win streak has ended. After three straight road wins, the Sabres fell 3-1 at home against the New Jersey Devils last night. The Sabres haven't won four games in a row in more than three years.
7. There's still time to get Lumagination tickets online. The event is happening on weekends all through February at the Botanical Gardens. You can find out more here.