BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The 2019 class of the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame was introduced on Tuesday afternoon.
The class is made up of 13 individuals:
· Chuck Crist – Salamanca Born Star at Penn State and NFL
· Adam Beattie Gunn – Turn of the 19th century track athlete
· Joe Horrigan – Executive Director of Pro Football Hall of Fame
· Ed Hughes – NFL Head & Assistant Coach; Collegiate star at Tulsa after prepping at Kensington HS
· Len Jankiewicz – Football Coach and Athletic Director at Lancaster HS
· Dorothy Jones – Prep and Collegiate Basketball Star and Referee
· Travis Mayer – U.S.A. Olympic Medal Winning Skier
· Jeff Prescott – New York State and NCAA Wrestling Champion from Olean
· Peter Scamurra – First Buffalo-born player to sign NHL contract
· Barbara Wachowiak – First Team All-American field hockey player and top-level game official; Four-sport athlete at Hamburg HS.
· Peggy Wattles – Prominent Champion Golfer
· Will and James “Deacon” White – Professional baseball battery mates in 1800’s. Will was first major league player to don eyeglasses.
With the 13-member class of 2019, the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame will now have 343 inductees since its inception in 1991.
The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame honors those who have enhanced our lives with their performances and commitment to Western New York sports, an effort surpassed only by the positive impressions they have left on our athletes of tomorrow.