BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — For the 13th straight year, pond hockey returns to Buffalo this weekend.
The Labatt Blue Buffalo Hockey Tournament will showcase nearly 120 teams of four to seven players will battle for their respective division titles.
This year each team is guaranteed to play four games, instead of three in previous years, meaning there will be over 300 games played between Friday, February 14th and Sunday, February 16th.
“It’s pond hockey season in Buffalo and we couldn’t be more excited to once again host the premier pond hockey tournament in Western New York,” said Lauren Christopher, public relations manager, Labatt Blue. “This weekend will be packed with more than 300 hockey games, Sabres alumni appearances, new fan experiences, live music from Nerds Gone Wild and, of course, Labatt Blue. We can’t wait for the action to start.”
Here's what you can expect at this year's tournament
Labatt Blue Accuracy Shooting Contest
- Players and fans can compete to hit targets in the fastest time for a chance to win Labatt Blue giveaways.
Live Music from Nerds Gone Wild (Friday, Feb. 14 at 8:00 p.m.)
- Plus performances by Midnight Kings, The Brothers of Invention, Tim Britt and Road Trip throughout tournament weekend.
Tales from the Penalty Box (Saturday, Feb. 15 at 9:00 p.m.)
- Sabres alumni Matthew Barnaby and Andrew Peters will get together to tell unfiltered stories from their hockey days. Tickets are $20 each, available on the RiverWorks website and at the door. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Gordie Howe C.A.R.E.S.
Labatt Blue Zone, Sabres Alumni Appearances, Games and Activities
Games run at the following times
- Friday, Feb. 14 from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 15 from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb. 16 from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
You can find the full schedule and more information here.