ST. BONAVENTURE, NY (WKBW) — Some good news came out of Saint Bonaventure on Friday. The school administered COVID-19 tests to 50 student-athletes and staff working directly with the athletes, and zero tests came back positive.
The men's basketball team returned to the campus two weeks ago while the majority of the women's team came back on July 25th. Additional student-athletes will be returning to campus in August.
In order to practice, the school has implemented the following new rules:
- All student-athletes will be tested for COVID-19 before returning to campus
- Athletes will be tested for COVID-19 again upon arriving on campus and must remain isolated until test results come back
- Athletes fill out a health screening each day before workouts
- Anyone who tests positive while on campus will be taken to a local testing center for an additional test to confirm the positive result and be moved to a quarantine room on campus in the interim – a second positive test will result in a 14-day quarantine while being attended to daily by training staff
- One positive test within a team will prompt testing of each player and staff member
- Equipment, including basketballs, will be cleaned and wiped down before and after each practice and workout
- Face coverings are provided to each student-athlete and all coaches and staff will wear a face covering at all times
The Atlantic-10 Conference has postponed the fall sports season and hasn't made a decision on winter sports. The men's and women's basketball teams are scheduled to begin practices in October.