BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — A $5 million investment has taken shape at Buffalo's Outer Harbor as a brand new walking and cycling complex opened to the public.
The 20-acre site is a small part in the total transformation coming to the 400-acres of Outer Harbor.
"We will begin the process of developing it in stages similar to this" Robert Gioia, Chairman of the ECHDC said.
Here is a list of everything the new complex has to offer:
· Bike Park: A combination of trails, a skills loop and a pump track. The bike park provides three introductory to intermediate-level tracks for mountain bike riders. The activity zone includes a pump track, skills loop and tot track with a viewing area and concourse. Nearly one mile of dirt trails are installed throughout the site and present varying degrees of skills and obstacles.
· Great Lawn: A 4-acre grassed oval provides space for both passive and active uses, including events of all sizes and a fantastic setting for sunset views.
· Independent Health Wellness Trail: Nearly one mile of additional multi-use trails connect the existing Outer Harbor trail system with Fuhrmann Boulevard to complete the shoreline loop. The nature trail will be surrounded by habitat enhancements and encompass the 4-acre Great Lawn.
· Habitat Restoration Areas: More than 10 acres of habitat enhancement and restoration areas feature the addition of hundreds of new trees and shrubs, as well as 1.5 acres of pollinator fields. These areas have seen the removal of invasive species and are now providing habitat for several species of nesting and migratory birds.
· Mountain Bike Rentals: Mountain bike rentals are available during the following hours: Friday: 3 p.m. - 7 p.m.; Saturday: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.; Sunday: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.; Holidays: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
The complex is located at 825 Fuhrmann Blvd.