New in 2017 is the Hometown Hero Award, selected by a local veteran family. That prize went to New York Beer Project for their mac and pork sandwich.
Here are the other award winners for the 2017 Taste of Buffalo presented by Tops:
- Chair’s Choice (chosen by 2017 Chair Ralph Basile): Buffalo Scotch Egg (chicken wing sausage, egg, cheezit, and panko crust) from Riverstone Grill
- Children’s Choice (chosen by Jacob Loretz): Waygu Meatball with Carmelized Onion Sauce from Black & Blue Steak and Crab
- Pat Sardina Memorial Award for Best Comfort Food: Prosciutto Tortellini with Truffle Cream Sauce from Salvatore’s Italian Gardens
- Lou Billittier Memorial “Rookie of the Year” Award and Best Overall Item: Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Guy
- Veteran Restaurant Award: Jerked Chicken from Caribbean Experience
- Best of Buffalo Award: Chicketta Slider from Osteria 166
- Best Meat Item: Dinosaur BBQ Wings from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
- Best Seafood Item: Lobster Mac & Cheese from SEAR
- Best Dessert: Lemony Coconut Bar from Chrusciki Bakery
- Best Sandwich: ½ Reuben from Eddie Ryan’s
- Best Red Wine: Rose Bud Peach from Niagara Landing Wine Cellars
- Best White Wine: Zia Minx from Spring Lake Winery
Independent Health Foundation’s Healthy Options:
- First Place: Watermelon Sorbet from White Rabbit Frozen Yogurt
- Second Place: Watermelon Gazpacho from Savor @ Niagara Falls Culinary Institute
- Third Place: Fresh Fruit Sorbet (Italian Ice) from Sweet Melody’s
The judging was done Saturday morning by a panel of representatives from the local media, political, and business arenas.
Taste of Buffalo continues Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. along Delaware Avenue between Chippewa Street and Niagara Square in downtown Buffalo. More information can be found here.