News

Actions

Judge upholds Suge Knight's restrictions

Posted: 7:21 PM, May 02, 2016
Updated: 2016-05-03 04:39:11Z
Judge upholds Suge Knight's restrictions

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge has rejected a motion by Marion "Suge" Knight's attorney to restore the former rap mogul's jail visitation rights and access to mail and phone calls.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William C. Ryan ruled Thursday that jail officials properly obtained an order earlier this year to restrict Knight's contact with the outside world to preserve jail security. Details about why the order was obtained remain under seal.

Knight has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder charges filed last year after he ran over two men outside a burger stand in Compton, California. The Death Row Records co-founder told a judge on April 21 that restrictions were hampering his defense.

Knight's attorney Thaddeus Culpepper said he believes Ryan's order misstates the law and his client's constitutional rights are being violated.