Dana Stubblefield denies raping disabled woman

Dana Stubblefield denies raping disabled woman
Posted at 3:23 PM, May 03, 2016

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — A former San Francisco 49er defensive lineman charged with raping a "developmentally delayed" woman denied the charges Tuesday, saying the episode was a consensual encounter with a mentally competent woman who asked for money and a job afterward.

Dana Stubblefield is accused of raping the woman in his home in Morgan Hill, California, south of San Jose. The woman, who was then 31, traveled to Stubblefield's home on April 9, 2015, to interview for a job babysitting his children. Investigators say she left after 20 minutes, but returned when Stubblefield texted her that he wanted to pay for her time.

After raping her, investigators said, Stubblefield gave her $80 and let her go. The woman immediately went to the Morgan Hill Police Department and reported the rape, prosecutors say.

DNA evidence matched that of Stubblefield, the report said.

Stubblefield spoke briefly at a press conference Tuesday in San Jose, saying he was "completely innocent" and noting that he has financially supported the Special Olympics.

"That is why these allegations hurt me so badly," Stubblefield said reading a prepared statement. "I will defend myself with all my strength."

He declined to answer questions.

Stubblefield's attorneys say the woman texted Stubblefield 18 times the day of the two had sex and four more times in the days afterward. Attorney Kenneth Rosenfeld said the woman asked for money on 10 of those occasions. He said Stubblefield gave the woman a "small amount" of money to help her repair her car.

"This is a money grab," Rosenfeld said.

Rosenfeld said the woman has been charged with several crimes including assault in the past, showing that the district attorney believed her mentally competent to appear in court.

Another attorney, Gary Winuk, also said the unidentified woman has filed two lawsuits where she represents herself and has a California's driver's license.

"She had a clear capacity to make decisions," Winuk said.

Police arrested Stubblefield in front of his children's school Monday after he dropped them. He was released from jail late Monday on $250,000 bail.

Stubblefield's attorneys said the former football player was told of the rape accusation about two months ago and say he has been "cooperating fully" with investigators since.

Santa Clara District Attorney Jeffrey Rosen didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Stubblefield was the San Francisco 49ers first round pick in 1993 after a standout career at the University of Kansas. The three-time pro bowler also played for Washington and Oakland before retiring after the New England Patriots released him before the start of the 2004 season.

Stubblefield pleaded guilty in 2009 to lying to federal officials investigating a performance enhancing drugs ring catering to professional athletes. He was sentenced to probation after cooperating with investigators. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail after pleading guilty to stealing his former girlfriend's mail by submitting a fraudulent change of address for her to the U.S. Post Office.