UPDATE: 5:00 p.m Friday: Family of the 13-year-old girl say she's out of surgery after nearly four hours. The surgery was for extensive damage to her chest area organs after a stray bullet went through her shoulder and lodged into the other.
Three people were injured on Buffalo's West Side Thursday night, including a 13-year-old and a 9 year-old girl. A 33 year-old man was shot in the facial area.
Police said call came in at 9:40 p.m. at Grant St. and Breckenridge St. People were gathering at a candlelight vigil for a man who died from medical reasons on July 4th. It's believed that some people in attendance of the vigil had gang affiliation. Police believe this shooting was targeted to those gang members.
The 13 year-old girl was hit by a stray bullet while sitting on her front porch with family members. She was transported to Women and Children's hospital, where she was put into the ICU in serious condition.
Family members were not able to see the girl until 3 a.m. She went into surgery around 1 p.m. Friday afternoon. Buffalo Police consistently reported the girl's condition was non life-threatening, while family says her condition is extremely serious.
The bullet went through one shoulder, passing through her lungs and esophogeal tube.
The 9 year-old was injured at the scene, police say it's unclear whether she was grazed by a bullet or if she fell and cut her face while trying to run away.
Police say injuries to the 33 year-old are non life-threating.
- 9:40 pm: Buffalo Police respond to shooting at Breckenridge and Grant Streets
- 11:30 p.m.: Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown visits the 13 year-old's family in the hospital, reports she is "the child looks like she's going to be okay"
- 2:00 a.m.: Buffalo Police release an official statement on the shooting, saying injuries to both the 33 year-old and 13 year-old appear non life-threatening
- 6:00 a.m.: The family of the 13 year-old report to 7EWN that she is in serious, stable condition in the ICU
- 11 a.m.: Buffalo Police provide an update at ECMC, that injuries appear non life-threatening and the shooting appears gang related
- 1:00 p.m: The family tells 7EWN that the 13 year-old is undergoing surgery and her condition is serious
This is a developing news story. 7 Eyewitness News will provide updates as they come.