The Transportation Security Administration is preparing for record numbers of travelers this holiday season.
TSA agents offered travel tips and explained the importance of security screening at Buffalo Niagara International Airport Thursday.
The TSA warns airline passengers to plan ahead before coming to the airport to help speed up the process.
Here are some tips from the TSA for packing bags:
- Put large liquids, gels, creams and aerosols into checked luggage.
- In carry-on bags, all liquids must be 3.4 ounces or less and kept in a separate plastic bag.
- Do not bring knives or guns with you in carry-on luggage.
- If you're not sure whether an item can be carried through a checkpoint, check with the TSA before arriving at the airport. You can tweet a photo to @AskTSA, message the TSA Facebook page or check the TSA website.
TSA tips at the airport:
- Arrive 90 minutes early for the flight.
- Have your ID and boarding pass ready while waiting in the TSA checkpoint line.
- Consider limiting accessories like scarves, jewelry or other bulky items. These can require additional screening.
- Double check the bins after passing through security screening. If you forget an item, visit the TSA website to fill out a lost and found form.
TSA officials ask travelers to be patient with security lines during a busy holiday season. The agency says security measures can slow down the process like taking off shoes or removing laptops and liquids from luggage are important to keeping people safe while flying.