wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

Toddler dies after ingesting liquid nicotine

Posted at 9:40 AM, Dec 11, 2014
and last updated 2015-12-06 09:40:25-05

Police say a Mohawk Valley toddler has died after he swallowed liquid nicotine, the chemical used in electronic cigarettes.

Police in the village of Fort Plain tell media outlets emergency workers were called to a home shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday. They found a 1-year-old boy unconscious.

The boy was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police say they believe the poisoning was an accident.

Liquid nicotine is legally sold in New York as a supplement to e-cigarettes. The chemical must be diluted before being used. The concentrated liquid can be lethal to a child if as little as a half teaspoon is ingested.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is urging federal lawmakers to pass legislation requiring child-proof packaging for liquid nicotine sold to consumers.