Southtowns 4x4 is a group of Western New Yorkers who drive around helping cars out of ditches. They do this for free.
"We're just normal civilians helping out people," Charles Noecker said, "The best thing I learned was neighbors helping neighbors."
Last year, they had a day where they pulled 32 cars out, and most of them were similar cases.
"A lot of times the people that are stuck, they either have bald tires or they're just not prepared for any of this."
So to avoid getting stuck this year, here are some tips:
- Get snow tires.
- Check to see if your tires are bald. If they are, get them changed to have more traction.
- Give yourself ample time to get to your destination. By not rushing you will be less worried about what time it is, and more worried about the road.
How should you prepare?
- Keep a first aid kit or emergency bag incase you are stuck in the vehicle for sometime.
- Keep over half a tank of gas.
- Know the route you are going to take in case it gets hard to see.
- Tell someone where you are going. If you get stuck, it makes it much easier to be found.