Sabres fans asked to bring CO detectors to game

Posted at 5:56 PM, Jan 15, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-16 11:06:45-05

"She was just a great, fun spirited girl that touched a lot of lives and still is."

Ken Hansen can't help but smile when speaking about his 16-year-old daughter Amanda, and the legacy she has left behind.

Amanda Hansen was just shy of her 17th birthday when she passed away from Carbon Monoxide poisoning in 2009. The teenager was sleeping over at a friend's house at the time.

Since her death, her family has established the Amanda Hansen Foundation. Their mission is simple, but widespread, to place a Carbon Monoxide detector in every home in the country.

They've already made incredible strides, by passing Amanda's Law here in New York State, which requires all new builds and renovations to include  CO detectors.

This weekend, you can help support their mission and potentially save a life. The Amanda Hansen Foundation is teaming up with the Buffalo Sabres for a CO Detector Drive.

Fans are asked to bring a simple, battery operated CO detector to Saturday's 7p.m. game against the Washington Capitals.

The Buffalo Sabres produced this special tribute to Amanda, and the foundation bearing her name, ahead of Saturday's event.

If you can't attend Saturday's game, but would still like to make a donation, you can drop off them off at the office of Assemblyman Michael Kearns at 1074 Union Road, West Seneca, N.Y.

You can also learn more about the Amanda Hansen Foundation by clicking on thislink.




Stay in Touch Anywhere, Anytime with News, Weather and Video -- Download the WKBW app:

Android App

iPhone/iPad App

Or Sign Up for Our Newsletters -- Delivered to Your E-mail:

E-News, Forecast and Bills Beat Newsletters