The state is preparing significant resources to prepare Western New York from the threat of potential flooding after record-setting snowfall this past week.
Governor Andrew Cuomo says in addition to the 500 National Guardsmen already in the area, the following equipment is being mobilized:
- 51 boats from DEC, Parks, and State Fire
- 29 high axle vehicles and
- 375 total pumps from DEC, OGS, DHSES, PANY, DOT, Thruway, Canals and Parks
- 176,500 sandbags and 3 sandbaggers
- 69,000 bottles of water, and 5,300 MREs
- 30 light towers
- 1 portable Water Buffalo (500 gallon tank)
- 13,000 MREs are being prepared for deployment from the Oriskany stockpile
The state Department of Environmental Conservation is monitoring flood gauges on area waterways as well as 13 wastewater treatment plants in Erie and Wyoming counties.