Fire chars pews at St. Joseph Cathedral

Posted at 8:35 AM, Apr 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-02 08:17:42-04

A small fire broke out at St. Joseph Cathedral in downtown Buffalo on Friday morning.

Firefighters told 7 Eyewitness News that a contractor left wood on top of lights, which sparked some flames.

"Apparently some combustibles may have been left a little bit too close to the lights yesterday and when the lights were flicked on this morning it caused a small fire in the light which ran down to some of the pews," Catholic Diocese Communications Director George Richert said.

Three pews were badly burned during the fire.

Fire crews were cleaning up by 8:30 in the morning. Due to the fact that windows on the second level were not able to open, firefighters set-up fans to air out the building.

Crews estimate the damage to be about $230,000. However, officials with the Diocese say that is a high estimate.