The Erie County Sheriff's Office is looking for new members to join the Mounted Reserve Unit. The mounted unit serves as ambassadors for the Sheriff's unit, and interacts with the community during public events.
If you'd like to join the Mounted Reserve Unit, you must:
- Have a valid NYS pistol permit
- Be at least 21-years-old
- Own a healthy horse, at least 15.2 hands, with a temperament/disposition suitable to mounted law enforcement work as well as friendly to the public. The horse must be adaptable to the various stimuli encountered working in a variety of locations and situations - no kickers
- Have a minimum of 5-years of equestrian (rider) experience
- Have a horse trailer and tow vehicle
- Be available at least two days or evenings per week and work year-round in all weather conditions
- Be willing to purchase uniforms, law enforcement equipment, and necessary equipment for the horse
- Successfully complete a New York State Peace Officers academy and initial 51-Hour Firearms course and qualification
- Be of strong moral character and pass an intensive and comprehensive law enforcement background investigation
If you're interested and you meet all the requirements, you can contact Joseph Savarese at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and letter of interest, including information on your riding experience.
Have a news tip, question or comment?
Take WKBW Everywhere, on all your devices. Download below!
Phone or Tablet: Apple, Android
Set-top Device: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV
Personalize your news, get the latest 7 First Alert Forecast, and watch 7 Eyewitness News video wherever, whenever.
Learn more here about what 7 Eyewitness News provides on all these devices.