AAA gave a few ways to avoid your car from suffering during the snow and ice.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - When snow and ice cover the roads it can cause trouble for drivers. Here are seven ways to save your car from the ice and snow according to AAA.
1) Be careful parking: if your have a garage, USE IT. If there is no garage, avoid parking beneath trees, power lines, or other objects that could fall during a heavy snow.
2) NEVER pour hot water on an icy windshield: While this seems like it will defrost the car, it might actually cause the glass to have thermal shock and break.
3) Keep your windshield wipers clean: by propping up wipers or covering them with a plastic bag this can avoid windshield wipers from freezing to the car, and also avoids streaks on the glass.
4) Keep a full supply of windshield washer fluid: some fluid can even de-ice the windshield.
5) Give yourself ample time for commuting: giving the car warmup time allows the defrosters to properly melt ice from the inside out.
6) Warm keys up before using them: this helps to melt away ice that might be in the key hole.
7) Be careful where you use an ice scraper: Do not use a scraper on painted surfaces and avoid pounding on the ice. A quality ice scraper is helpful for this.