wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

Reddy ridership in Buffalo more than tripled in 2017

default.png
Posted at 4:30 PM, Feb 13, 2018
and last updated 2018-02-13 16:30:16-05

It appears Reddy bikes are really catching on in Buffalo.

New numbers from Reddy and Independent Health show the amount of riders utilizing the 200 red bikes more than tripled from 2016 to 2017 growing from 1,700 to more than 5,600.

That wasn't the only significant increase for the program:

  • Trips taken in 2017: 26,514 (up from 11,986 in 2016)

  • Miles traveled in 2017: 47,386 miles (up from 17,614 in 2016)

  • Calories burned in 2017: More than 1.8 million (up from 766,080 in 2016)

This all comes with an asterisk though: 2017 was a full season for the bikes. 2016 was not. Independent Health launched the bike-sharing program on July 21, 2016. For season two in 2017, the bikes were available starting April 3.

As far as who is riding the bikes, Reddy says research shows 68 percent of riders in 2017 were from Buffalo or greater Western New York. The remaining 32 percent were college students and out-of-towners.

Reddy also shared these interesting tidbits:

  • The most popular stations were at Canalside, Bidwell Parkway and Delaware Park

  • The average trip distance was 2.25 miles

  • The longest trip was 49 miles, in which one rider trekked to Niagara Falls and back

Take WKBW Everywhere, on all your devices.  Download below!

Phone or Tablet: Apple, Android
Set-top Device: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Alexa

Personalize your news, get the latest 7 First Alert Forecast, and watch 7 Eyewitness News video wherever, whenever.

Learn more here about what 7 Eyewitness News provides on all these devices.