The Red Cross is offering some safety tips for beachgoers ahead of the Fourth of July weekend.
- Swim sober and always swim with a buddy. Make sure you have enough energy to swim back to shore.
- Have young children and inexperienced swimmers wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Protect your neck – don’t dive headfirst. Walk carefully into open waters.
- Keep a close eye and constant attention on children and adults while at the beach. Wave action can cause someone to lose their footing, even in shallow water.
- Watch out for aquatic life. Water plants and animals may be dangerous. Avoid patches of plants and leave animals alone.
More safety tips can be found in the Red Cross app store.