TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WKBW) — Town of Tonawanda police confirmed there have been a handful of burglary attempts where thieves use patio furniture to boost themselves up to first-floor windows.
No reports of actual entry have been made to police, only attempts. A number of Facebook posts in community watch groups have said that thieves have attempted to cut window screens or enter through open windows.
As the weather finally warms up in Western New York, many of us are opening our windows to let in the breeze. This can create opportunities for thieves. Keep in mind the following summer safety tips from this home security
- Don't hide keys outside
- Notify the police if you're going out of town
- Use outdoor lighting, including motion sensored lights
- Ask neighbors to keep an eye on your home while you're away
- Close windows at night and lock them
- Invest in home security systems