GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Grand Island Fire Company is warning about an increase in carbon monoxide incidents over the last two months.
According to the fire company, firefighters responded to a dozen carbon monoxide calls since December.
Officials say most of these calls are due to faulty detectors, although one instance was due to a water heater venting problem.
Fire officials warn that carbon monoxide poisoning closely mimics the flu with headaches, nausea, and is difficult to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless and is the result of incomplete combustion.
Authorities say it is crucial that gas fired appliances and other sources such as furnaces, stoves, wood-burning stoves and fireplaces, hot water heaters, boilers, and be checked by qualified technicians on a regular basis.