Actions

Man who murdered 8-year-old boy up for parole

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WKBW.png
Posted at 6:57 AM, Feb 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-24 06:57:01-05

A man who beat an 8-year-old boy to death he was accused of sexually molesting is again up for parole.

David Hinchy, then 23-years-old, was convicted in 1987 of choking, kicking and beating to death Jesse Powers. His body was found six days later by children walking along railroad tracks in Riverside.

Powers’ family says the little boy was murdered the day before he was supposed to meet with detectives to give a statement about Hinchy molesting him.

Hinchy was sentenced to 25 years to life and has come up for parole every two years since 2012. The family strongly opposes his release and has started a petition to keep him behind bars, which so far has drawn more than 1,700 signatures.

Hinchy meets with the parole board the week of April 4th and the decision about his parole will be released the following week.

He was last denied parole in April 2014, when the board noted Hinchy has had several disciplinary actions while in prison, with the last occurring in September 2006 for harassment, threats and direct order.

The board said it gave consideration to his improved behavior and rehabilitative efforts, but wrote,  “This panel finds compelling your heinous actions in 1987 and feels you continue to pose a threat to public safety and welfare.”