Price-of-Water-658x90.jpg

Actions

Officials say man smoking in bed caused fatal fire

Officials say man smoking in bed caused fatal fire
Posted at 3:46 PM, Nov 04, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-04 15:46:02-04

An early morning motel fire left one man dead in the Town of Batavia.

The Genesee County Emergency Dispatch received a report of a fire at the Sunset Motel, on Route 5 just before 9 a.m. Saturday. 

Town of Batavia Fire was able to extinguish the fire quickly, keeping it contained to one room, according to the Genesee County Sheriff's Office. 

66-year-old Lance Dery, the occupant of the room was pronounced dead at the scene.

Upon investigation, officials say Dery was smoking in his bed, which ignited the blankets and mattress.

Crews are continuing to investigate the matter.