Price-of-Water-658x90.jpg

Actions

Nursing home patient catches himself on fire with own cigarette

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WKBW.png
Posted at 2:31 PM, Jun 28, 2018
and last updated 2018-06-28 16:21:13-04

A 64 year-old man is in critical condition after a cigarette he was smoking set his clothing on fire at a Buffalo nursing home. 

It happened at the HighPointe facility on Michigan Avenue around 10:30 a.m.

Buffalo Police said the man was smoking a cigarette in the courtyard when the fire began. 

The victim was taken to ECMC.

Police are investigating.

Michael P. Hughes, the Chief of Staff for Kaleida Heath, issued this statement:

“A resident at HighPointe on Michigan Skilled Nursing Facility was transported to the Erie County Medical Center earlier today for injuries sustained in a smoking-related accident. The 64 year-old male, whose name cannot be disclosed due to patient privacy laws, has a care plan that allows for smoking outdoors. The incident occurred outside the nursing home, in a designated smoking courtyard. Three HighPointe employees, who helped extinguish the resident's clothing, were evaluated at the Buffalo General Medical Center. They were treated and released. Kaleida Health security as well as the Buffalo Police Department are investigating the incident which is believed to be accidental in nature.”

Take WKBW Everywhere, on all your devices.  Download below!

Phone or Tablet: Apple, Android
Set-top Device: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Alexa

Personalize your news, get the latest 7 First Alert Forecast, and watch 7 Eyewitness News video wherever, whenever.

Learn more here about what 7 Eyewitness News provides on all these devices.