The New York State Department of Labor is looking for 50 people to become carpenters apprentices.
The application period for the Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Fund's apprenticeship program will open on June 6 and go through June 5, 2019.
Interested candidates have to apply in person Monday through Friday at one of the approved recruitment locations from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The locations are:
- Rochester Training Center, LU 276, 21 Jetview Drive, Rochester NY 14624
- NYS Department of Labor- One Stop 175 North Union St-Suite 4, Olean, NY
- Construction Industry Employers Association, 2660 William Street, Cheektowaga, NY 14225
- Local 276, 1159 Maryvale Drive, Cheektowaga, NY 14225
- Local 277, 23 Market Street Binghamton, NY 13905
- Local 277, 181 Industrial Park Rd, Horseheads, NY 14845
- NYS Department of Labor-Cayuga Works Career Center, 199 Franklin St, Auburn, NY 13021
- The Working Solution-One Stop, 207 Genesee St, Suite 202, Utica, NY
- NYS Department of Labor One Stop-The Work Place, 1000 Coffeen St, Watertown, NY 13601
- NYS Department of Labor, 35 Glen Street, Massena, NY 13662
- Local 277, 3247 Vickery Rd, Syracuse, NY 13213
To apply, you must be at least 18-year-old and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
You have to live within the geographical jurisdiction, which includes Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Monroe, Livingston, Wayne, Ontario, Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben, Tompkins, Yates, Seneca, Cayuga, Cortland, Onondaga, Madison, Oswego, Broome, Delaware, Chenango, Otsego, Tioga, Oneida, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, and St. Lawrence counties.
You must have reliable transportation to and from work and related instruction and be willing to travel to various locations across New York State. You must pass a drug test and if you test positive, you cannot reapply for one year. You Must be willing and able to attend related instruction as required. You mush be prepared to take a math test at the time of interview.
If you've served in the military, you must provide a military transfer card or discharge from DD-214.
You also must meet certain physical requirements. To apply you to be able to:
- Lift items weighing over 50 lbs.
- Climb and work from heights.
- Work off of scaffolding at various heights.
- Work in confined spaces.
- Work under conditions of inclement weather; rain, snow, cold, heat, direct sunlight.
- Perform constant repetitive motions.
- Standing and stooping for prolonged periods of time.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or the Empire State Carpenters at (585) 436-1110.