14-year-old sought in connection with NY college student's homicide taken into custody, sources say

Posted at 11:56 AM, Dec 26, 2019

A 14-year-old sought in connection to the homicide of an 18-year-old Barnard College student in New York City has been located in the Bronx and taken into custody, a law enforcement source confirmed Thursday.

NYPD Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison first tweeted that the male had been "located." A source later confirmed the 14-year-old was found in the Bronx and detained.

Officials have not said what the teen's connection to murder might be.

The teen had been sought since Harrison first tweeted out photos of the male on Dec. 20.

On the evening of Dec. 11, 18-year-old Tessa Majors was walking through Morningside Park when several individuals attacked and stabbed her to death, according to Harrison.

Days later, Majors' death was ruled a homicide when a spokeswoman for the New York City Medical Examiner said it was caused by stab wounds to her torso.

Police then identified one of the suspects, and the male, 13, was taken into custody on Dec. 12. He was charged with felony murder.

The 13-year-old boy allegedly picked up a knife when one of his friends dropped it and saw the attack, police said.

More details about the case emerged on Dec. 17, when police officers testified at a Manhattan family court hearing.

A detective said surveillance video does not show the 13-year-old stabbing Majors or taking her property, and an attorney for the teen argued his client was not aware that a robbery would be taking place.

However, a judge ruled that the 13-year-old's intent to commit a crime was established when he entered the park and that he aided in the robbery when he allegedly picked up the knife.

The teen is set to remain in the custody of the Administration for Children's Services.

The 13-year-old told detectives that he watched as one of his friends grabbed Majors from behind and the other stabbed her before taking items from her pockets, officials said.

On Friday, Dec. 13, a second male, age 14, was taken into custody. After questioning, he was released and not charged, Harrison said. The chief would not say why the subject was not facing charges.

This story was originally published by Mary Murphy, Nicole Johnson and Corey Crockett on WPIX in New York City.