As warmer weather rolls around Western New York will see more motorcycles on the roads, meaning a few changes to your driving habits.
Whether you're a motorcyclist or a driver of a car, there are some things to look out for during 'Motorcycle Safety Month'.
Motorcycle Trooper Michael Niezgoda of the New York State Police has some tips for all people on the roadways:
- Get out of "winter mode" and look out for higher traffic volume and smaller roadway obstructions like motorcycles
- Look twice before turning (don't just keep an eye out for two headlights)
- Motorcyclists should wear a DOT approved helmet; more than a fourth of motorcycle fatalities are a result of no or improper helmets
- Motorcyclists should ride within their skill set, no tricks or weaving in and out of traffic
- Make sure motorcycles are in good, working condition
You can find more safety tips here.