News

Actions

More kids ingesting laundry pods

Posted: 5:52 AM, Apr 25, 2016
Updated: 2016-04-25 20:39:51-04

A new study says more kids are being injured after eating 'laundry pods.'

According to the study published in Pediatrics, 62,254 calls were made to poison control centers after children were exposed to laundry detergent packets between 2013-14.

That's a call every 45 minutes accounting for a 17-percent increase in that two-year span.

According to the study, at least one child a day in the U.S. was admitted to the hospital due to laundry pods.

Doctors from the Nationwide Children's Hospital said child could experience a coma, fluid build-up in the lungs and a loss of breathing. 

Doctors note two children under the age of three have died after ingesting the pods. 

Companies that make these pods have taken steps to make them safer in recent years, including making the outside taste bitter, and making containers harder to open.

Researchers suggest that parents who have young kids at home use traditional laundry detergent, which they say is less toxic than the pods. You should also keep all detergent out of the reach of children.