Mom and child escape Cheektowaga apartment fire

Posted at 1:35 PM, May 21, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-22 08:37:11-04

Multiple fire units were called to an apartment fire in Cheektowaga Saturday afternoon where there were initial reports of two children trapped inside on the second floor.

As firefighters arrived on Harlem Road around 12:30pm, they learned a mother and her 2-year-old child had managed to escape the blaze with the help of police and the two children initially reported as trapped were at a sleepover.

Paramedics rushed the mother and her child to the hospital for treatment as firefighters got to work fighting the flames.

"Police initially made entry got some of the folks out. We made entry after and verified that everyone was cleared. The apartments were cleared at that time. No firefighters were injured. One of the police officers sustained a cut on his hand and some of them were treated for smoke inhalation," Doyle Hose Co. Fire Chief Don Szumigala said.

Fire investigators believe a dryer sparked this fire. All of the damage was contained to the one unit the fire started in.