Metal security bars gave firefighters an extra challenge when they responded to a fire on Bailey Avenue Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out just before 9:30 in the morning at Bailey Avenue Pizza in Buffalo's Bailey Kensington neighborhood. Fire officials believe the fire was sparked by some workers who were repairing the roof. The fire eventually spread down to the kitchen.
Crews say the security bars on the doors and windows made it difficult for firefighters to get the flames, and could have prevented people inside the building from getting out safely.
"When people start putting metal bars on their windows it's a very dangerous situation," said Buffalo Fire Battalion Chief Steve Keohane. "We understand in areas of criminal activity they want to protect themselves, but it's a real life hazard."
Thankfully, no one was in the building when the fire started. The fire caused about $150,000 in damage.