The Medina Central School District is considering air conditioning in its school buildings, district wide.
The A.C. system would be part of the district’s capital improvement project. The proposal also includes replacing the windows in the elementary building and making upgrades to the library in the high school. District officials said the venting system is in need of an upgrade throughout the district. Replacing them would allow for a heating and cooling system. It’s unclear how much the improvement would cost.
According to the district’s business director, Mark Kruzynski the idea is in its preliminary stages. It still needs to be adopted by the school board. That could happen during one of the scheduled meetings in October. From there, it would go before Medina taxpayers for a vote likely sometime in December. It would also require approval from the state.
Kruzynski noted that the state would cover 97.9% of the plan, and the district has a healthy reserve fund meaning there would be no additional cost to taxpayers.
If approved, construction on the new A.C. system would begin in the summer of 2017.
Some districts do already have A.C., including the Buffalo Public School District. It has air-conditioning in a number of strategically located schools to accommodate year round learning opportunities.
Presently, the following schools are air conditioned:
- School 3, D’Youville Porter Campus
- School 30/38, Frank A. Sedita Elementary School
- School 8620/42, OTC
- School 50/99, Stanley M. Makowski Early Childhood Center
- School 59M, Dr. Charles R. Drew Science Magnet
- School 79, Pfc. William J. Grabiarz School of Excellence
- School 84, Erie County Health Center for Children
- School 89, Lydia T. Wright
- School 95, Waterfront Elementary
- School 192, Buffalo Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts
- School 305, McKinley High School (with the exception of CTE spaces)
- School 8308/302, Emerson School of Hospitality
Air conditioning is currently being installed at the following schools:
- School 93, Southside Elementary
- School 94, West Hertel Elementary
A total of 14 schools will have air conditioning. District officials said they will continue to evaluate the feasibility of installing it at other schools.
|Live video, the latest news and no surveys - download the WKBW app|
|News, forecast and Bills newsletters delivered to your e-mail inbox|