BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The holiday shopping season is set to kick off in just a couple weeks. This year, the National Retail Federation is predicting that online and other non-store sales will increase between 11 and 14 percent.
While there are several items that can be bought with just the click of a mouse button, jewelry should not be one of them, said Jeffrey Zimmer, president of Reeds Jewelers.
Zimmer said it is important for buyers to actually "see and feel" the jewelry they plan to buy to make sure it doesn't feel light and has plenty of sparkle.
Other jewelry buying tips from Reeds:
- Make sure you buy from a jeweler you know and trust.
- Do research ahead of time (the internet is useful for this)
- Set a budget.
- Don't make a quick decision.
- Explain to the jeweler what you are looking for and ask for suggestions.
- When buying for someone else, make sure the jeweler knows the recipients fashion style and type of jewelry they wear.
- Remember to buy quality because good jewelry is often handed down to other family members.
- Make sure to check the jewelers return policy. It is not unusual for jewelry to be returned, explained Zimmer, who said he has also had some jewelry miscues when buying for his wife.
- Have your loved-one fill out a jewelry store registry list, or "Wish List" in the case of Reeds. That can make it much easier for a buyer.
- White diamonds are the most expensive, but diamonds with a just a shade of color can save you a lot of money - and best of all, the colors are not visible to the naked eye.